Gormenghast with Hot Chocolate and Cookies
- Gormenghast", the delightful visual treat broadcast presently by the BBC, is something to climb
under the blanket for, alongside your cookies and hot chocolate, before watching. A
good-old-fashioned fairy tale which will take you along for the ride. Watch out, stateside, it's
heading your way.
- Polanski retrospective on view at De Melkweg (The Milky Way), Leidsepl ein in Amsterdam this
month. Most of the best to catch.
- "Buffalo 66", the Vincent Gallo film (which never did get a cinema release in Holland) will be
showing on February 18th and 19th at De Balie cinema on the Leidseplein in Amsterdam.
- "My Son, The Fanatic" (did someone call?) will be shown twice at De Balie Cinema on the
Leidseplein in Amsterdam on February 29th. Scripted by Hanif Kureishi, who wrote "My
Beautiful Launderette" and "Sammie and Rosie Get Laid", the movie deals with a clash (over the
kitchen tgable) between Islamic fundamentalism and Western Hedonism, while managing to have a
romantic tint. The script writer himself will be present at the second showing.
- Rick Moody, author of "The Ice Storm", will be at De Rode Hoed (The Red Hat) in Amsterdam
for a reading on February 24th promoting his newest work, "Purple America."
- Primordial Henry Rollins will be on display again next month with his group in Paradiso, blasting
the audience away with eargrint. You can't keep a good man down, at least not for long.
- The The (that group with the heavy voice) will be also appearing again in Amsterdam; this time at
the Paradiso in April. So, if you hurry, you might still manage to get tickets. If you remember, their
February performance at another venue became a huge impossibility. Their popularity does not
wane, it would seem. Yes, gang, The The are going to appear in Amsterdam once again, this time
at the famous temple of music known as the Paradiso. You know, the group that got you Infected
since the 80's with Hanky Panky and an Uncertain Smile. Check it out. The show is on April 20th,
so let me suggest that you get your tickets as soon as possible, either at the AUB ticket office
(Leidseplein) or at certain music spread shops throughout the city. (Further info available on
website www.paradiso.nl). Hope to see you there.
© 1994-2006 The Green Hartnett